Sunday, April 20, 2008

I recently took a little "vacation" to my mom and dad's place in Nampa, Idaho. Yeah, I guess it's not much of a vacation when I take my own little tornado with me everywhere I go. I'm referring to Eli of course! He played shy at first, but was soon aclimated and totally in love with Grandma and Grandpa. Grandpa helped by taking him for walks to get the mail and of course to get him to go to sleep at naptime (Thanks dad!). Grandma played and sang songs and read stories and made sure he didn't starve (Thanks Mom!). It was such a good trip in many ways. One benefit that I didn't expect was that the babies learned to sleep in the same room. Noah had still been in our room (yes, at almost 8 months old!). I was so worried about putting them in the same room for fear of Eli trampling him or that one would wake up the other. Well, I never set up the port-a-crib and just put Noah in the crib in the room with Eli. It's working beautifully. Who would have guessed?



I also learned that I could drive a reasonably long distance by myself with 2 little ones. They were so good in the car, way better than I could have hoped! Thank goodness for DVD players in the car and for an angelic baby who giggles spontaneously!



I was able to spend some time with my friend and her little boy. Funny, our boys are nearly a year apart, but they look about the same age (they're roughly the same size). They are so different in temperments and the first few hours were a bit rough. However, the second day we went to play, Eli was so excited to go play with Ryan! They did really well, ran and played outside and found plenty of common interests....cars, balls, and slides! You know, boy stuff!



6 comments:

Anne said...

How fun to have your parents back in the lower 48! Are any siblings still in Alaska?

chuck and april said...

hey i put blake in the same room as kurtis and it's worked out beautifully. he would sing him to sleep almost every night. it was sweet. nice photos. they turned out really awesome. and good for you for taking a little road trip! sounds like it was fun. miss you guys!

shurnuandbeagsly said...

Hey Anne, Nope, no one in Alaska anymore. We're obviously in Spokane, WA, my sis is in Housten, Layne and his wife (1 3-yr-old and a baby girl on the way) are in Florida, and Ryan and his wife (also expecting a girl) in Utah. Each of the 4 kids in a different time zone! :)

Shaila Lou said...

How fun to get away for a while. It's nice to have the help of parents for a while. We had to put Malcolm and Quinn in the same room at 2 months. Every once in a while they wake eachother up, but they've always done great. Winston won't have to share...until we have the next boy!

Kristine said...

Hey, I saw that you were tagged by Whitney, too! I was glad that I found your blog that way. We were wondering why you weren't at church, but it sounds like you were having fun with family.

Campbells said...

how fun that you were able to go and visit your parents. good for you braving a drive by yourself that far. It always suprised me what I really can do on my own with the kids. Glad that you had fun, cute posts the last couple, sorry I have been so behind on bloggin. Miss you guys.